The Scientific Committee on Antarctic Research (SCAR) seeks an Executive Officer to assist in the running of the SCAR Secretariat. SCAR is a body of the International Council for Science (ICSU). It facilitates and coordinates Antarctic research and identifies issues emerging from greater scientific understanding of the region that should be brought to the attention of policy makers. Its objectives and activities are described on the SCAR web site at http://www.scar.org.
The primary tasks of the Executive Officer are:
- to assist the Executive Director in the day-to-day operation of the Secretariat including supervising staff, coordinating programmes, analysing scientific issues concerning the Antarctic region, preparing proposals, and other activities as required;
- to maintain administrative contact with SCAR Members, scientific groups and committees, ICSU bodies, and other relevant international organizations including the Secretariats of the Antarctic Treaty System and the Council of Managers of National Antarctic Programmes;
- to arrange meetings, prepare agendas and reports of meetings, and circulate documents;
- to edit and prepare reports of meetings for publication;
- to manage SCAR's bank accounts and financial records, and to disburse funds as approved;
- to prepare activity reports and financial reports as required;
- to represent SCAR at meetings as directed by the Executive Director.
Candidates should preferably have a MSc or PhD degree in a scientific discipline relevant to research in Antarctica or the Southern Ocean, plus experience in international scientific research and collaboration, excellent communication and organizational skills, a high level of skill with word processing and databases, and complete proficiency in English. Proficiency in any other relevant languages will be an advantage. Significant overseas travel will be required. The successful candidate will be expected to take up the post by mid June 2007.
The salary will be
What is IPY
Wednesday, 11 April 2007 20:41
Job Advertisement: Scientific Committee on Antarctic Research (SCAR) seek Executive OfficerWritten by Nicola Munro
- Add to Delicious
- Digg this
- Add to Reddit
- Add to StumbleUpon
- Add to Facebook
- Add to MySpace
- Add to Technorati
Comment Link Tuesday, 30 November 1999 00:00 posted by Parviz Rezaeipour
Please forward the e-mail to related department
With many thanks in advance, and best regards,
Calendar of Events
Fri, 07 May 2010IPY Monthly Report: May 2010
Tue, 30 Mar 2010IPY Report: April 2010
Wed, 03 Mar 2010IPY Report: March 2010
Tue, 02 Feb 2010IPY Report: February 2010
Thu, 21 Jan 2010IPY Oslo Science Conference -...
Friends of IPY
Wed, 24 Nov 2010Missatge 2: Desenterrant dinousaures
Tue, 23 Nov 2010TAULA DE JOVES POETES
Tue, 23 Nov 2010"Carme Riera, el subjecte de...
Tue, 23 Nov 2010VII Premi Joan Oró a...
Mon, 22 Nov 2010Au sec