This activity is also available in downloadable flyers in many languages
Each day, automated meteorological systems and human observers around the world produce and share weather data through a global network. Predictions centres use the observations to produce global, regional and local forecasts. The quality of these forecasts depends on accurate weather observations from polar regions.
image: Nicola Munro, Halley Research Station, Antarctica
Observe the weather today where you live:
1. Air Temperature – warm, cold? Value in degrees Celsius?
2. Precipitation – do you currently experience rain or snow?
3. Wind – do you observe calm or windy conditions? Did you measure the wind, or observe its effects on trees or flags?
4. Visibility – how far can you see (in metres)?
5. Cloud cover – do you see clear sky, sky and cloud, or only clouds?
1. Launch a virtual balloon at www.ipy.org and include your observations.
2. Using the WMO world weather map and the virtual balloon map, compare your local weather to weather in the Arctic and elsewhere on the planet, and to weather reported by other classes around the world.
1. How do you react to your local weather? Do you wear different clothing? Do you choose certain types of transportation? Do you change the heating or cooling of your home?
2. What do these observations tell you about seasonal effects? About local effects? About differences between your location and polar locations?
For global and Arctic weather information, check http://www.worldweather.org/.
Visit the Above The Poles www.ipy.org pages for links to Antarctic weather information and for other activities about auroras, satellite observations, and astronomy.
image: Kirsty Stead Launching a weather balloon at Halley Research Station, Antarctica
What is IPY
Wednesday, 29 October 2008 20:52
Above The Poles: Weather Observation ActivityWritten by Rhian Salmon
- Add to Delicious
- Digg this
- Add to Reddit
- Add to StumbleUpon
- Add to Facebook
- Add to MySpace
- Add to Technorati
Login to post comments
Calendar of Events
Fri, 07 May 2010IPY Monthly Report: May 2010
Tue, 30 Mar 2010IPY Report: April 2010
Wed, 03 Mar 2010IPY Report: March 2010
Tue, 02 Feb 2010IPY Report: February 2010
Thu, 21 Jan 2010IPY Oslo Science Conference -...
Friends of IPY
Fri, 09 Dec 2011Antarctica on Google
Wed, 07 Dec 2011Toquem fusta, venen els tèrmits
Wed, 07 Dec 2011Missatge 14: Caminant amb pastors...
Mon, 05 Dec 2011Un Nadal ple d'activitats a...
Mon, 05 Dec 2011Missatge 13: El Gujarat des...