India is enthusiastically pursuing the outreach goal of IPY, which is being coordinated by National Centre for Antarctic & Ocean Research (NCAOR, under the Ministry of Earth Sciences, Govt. of India) in collaboration with WWF-India (World Wide Fund for Nature) and has carried out various competitions & exhibitions in several cities throughout the vast expanse of India. To further give impetus to our outreach efforts & to engage more students, we have planned an innovative Soccer Tournament called "Sub-Zero Soccer" on 15th-22nd November 2008, for College students. The main objective is to generate awareness among the youth by engaging them in sports and culture as this is very close to their heart and appeals to them. The salient features of this event are:
• The tournament shall begin with a film on Antarctica and a brief on IPY.
• The teams (names) will be based on biological diversity of the Polar Regions.
• T-shirts for a team will have a picture and information on a specific species found in Polar Regions.
• The commentary for the whole event will give small pieces of information on Polar Regions & its environmental concern.
• Information on receding polar ice in Polar Regions, India's presence in Antarctica etc will be displayed on the field through banners & posters all around.
• We shall also have a guest lecture.
• This event will be covered in print and electronic media and our partners Red FM.
• The winning team will be given a trophy and participation certificates for all.
What is IPY
Tuesday, 25 November 2008 21:55
Indian Outreach Efforts – An UpdateWritten by Louise Huffman
- Add to Delicious
- Digg this
- Add to Reddit
- Add to StumbleUpon
- Add to Facebook
- Add to MySpace
- Add to Technorati
Login to post comments
Calendar of Events
Friends of IPY
Fri, 09 Dec 2011Antarctica on Google
Wed, 07 Dec 2011Toquem fusta, venen els tèrmits
Wed, 07 Dec 2011Missatge 14: Caminant amb pastors...
Mon, 05 Dec 2011Un Nadal ple d'activitats a...
Mon, 05 Dec 2011Missatge 13: El Gujarat des...